Information for G03257
Morocco - Key factors relating to the integration of small- and medium-sized Moroccon olive oil producers into modern markets
The aim of this report is to present an analysis of two case studies of small- and medium-sized producers seeking to participate in the large-scale retail markets. We decided that the following questions needed to be asked:
• How do small- and medium-sized olive oil producers operate?
• What efforts have these producers made to penetrate large-scale retail markets?
• What costs have they incurred in this process?
• Are the efforts they have made sufficient to overcome the difficulties of getting into these markets?
• Are there any alternative market outlets for these producers?
• Does the way in which they are organized facilitate their integration in modern markets?
This publication forms part of the Regoverning Markets project.
The Regoverning Markets project focused on the modernisation of agrifood markets in emerging economies, and implications for small-scale producers. The goal was to secure more equitable producer and trade benefits in response to those changes. It was a multi-partner collaborative research programme made up of a consortium of some 20 research organisations and funding agencies.
More at www.iied.org: